You want to use the Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection on your computer, but you don’t want to use the default port number. Here is what you can do to change the listening port on your computer. Please keep in mind, if you make an incorrect change in the registry, your computer may not start back up.
- Click Windows Key + R
- Type “regedit” to star the registry editor
- Navigation to “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\”
- Right Click “PortNumber” from the right column
- Click “Modify”
- Click “Decimal”
- Type in the port number you would like to use
- Click “OK”
- Close the Registry Editor
- Restart your computer.
Of course, after you make these changes, you also have to do port forwarding in the router & make sure your computer firewall allows the connnection through as well before this will work.