Microsoft is currently releasing to the computers Windows 10 Feature Update 1809. We have had a couple of computers come into the office in which have now received this update. The update, for us so far anyway, has seemed to gone through fairly smooth. A couple signs that you might be getting this update (at least we have seen) are the computer getting very slow – usually during the update download and install in the background. The computer is busy working behind the scenes and seems to have slowed some of the computers up, at least until the update is complete and installed all the way. Then the computer seems to start working fine again. During the restarting process in installing Feature Update 1809, we have noticed a couple of computers also come up with a black screen and only a cursor, for periods of time of 15-45 minutes. Please be sure to give this at least an hour before you do anything as it is usually working in the background. If after an hour the computer is still sitting there, then you could think of maybe doing something like trying to restart the computer. (Note * It is never a good idea to interrupt software during installation).
Some of the features new in Windows 10 Feature Update 1809 are (according to Microsoft):
- Your Phone app
- Helps share your pictures, text messages & conversations between your PC & Phone.
- Wireless Projection Experience
- Improves the experience of wireless connection to a screen making it easier to know when your sending your screen to a wireless device
- Windows Autopilot self-deploying mode
- Windows Autopilot self-deploying mode enables a zero-touch device provisioning experience. Power on a device, plug it into the Ethernet and the device is fully configured automatically by Windows Autopilot.
- Kiosk Setup Experience
- You can setup the PC as a kiosk or digital sign using this wizard.
- Registry Editor Improvements
- Unless you know what you are doing, we do not suggest messing with the registry as making an incorrect change here can stop your computer from starting up or working properly.
- Security Improvements
- The Virus & Threat Protection area will help you keep an eye on what you need to take action on right away. (We have not used this yet, so unsure how accurate/complete it is)
- Windows Defender Updates
- Updates made on Windows Defender
- And more
Those are some of the updates that were included in the Windows 10 Feature 1809 update. Biggest thing to remember out of this is the update can take 30minutes to 2-3 hours, averages about 40-60 minutes. Don’t get inpatient too quickly as that can cause issues if you interrupt an update. These updates will probably be rolling out over the next few months. When it is ready to install, it will have to be installed as there is no way to turn off windows 10 updates – one of the worst “features” they have in Windows 10.
If there is something in-particular you would like us to write about, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know what you would like us to write about.